Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Jake63
Senior Contributor

Journalling for positive mental health!

I am wondering if any of my lovely forumites enjoy writing in their journal to take care of their mental health? I have been journalling now for the past 5 years. I love it.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Journalling for positive mental health!

It’s been suggested to me @Jake63 but am yet to start. How does it work?

Do you have a process @Jake63 or do you just write whatever pops into your head?

Would love to hear more about it if you are happy to share.

Warm regards

Hanami

Good morning lovely @hanami!

I definitely would not say there is a process to it. There is no process. I like to write about things that people said to me that day, things that happened at work, I write about my dreams. So yeah, I probably do write about what pops into my head. I don't journal every single day, sometimes I don't journal for weeks on end. But I have been journaling since 2020 (that's my digital journal on Google Docs) and then I have a physical journal that I started in 2016! I found handwriting my journal much harder the typing in my journal. 

Hey @Jake63 thanks for sharing that. I find it really interesting as I love to write and have started a journal several times but always end up stopping. 

I love to handwrite but then get a sore hand so perhaps a digital journal would be better for me.

Hanami ❤️

I try and journal but sometimes find it hard everyday so I just do it when I feel the need to 

Sometimes it's very helpful and other rimes it's more of a hindrance because it doesn't make sense like my brain sometimes which runs 100 miles an hour most days 

Journaling was something suggested to me by a counsellor once and I used to have a few I'd loose one buy another then find the old one but I've lost them over time with moving so I have a new one which I have inside my mental health survivors box. It's a box I created to help me stay alive when I'm at my darkest lowest point I can journal, colour, look at positive affirmations, or use my figet spinner to try and bring me back to a more stable place.

I haven't had to utilise this box much but it does help it also has number support ppl I can call or my husband can call if I'm in a bad way and he's worried he knows what to do.

Hi @Jake63 

Journalling is such a worthwhile activity. It can be a time capsule and therapy at the same time. I admit I haven't been Journalling lately but you have inspired me to get back into it. Thank you!

Hey @Blackbird11,

So good to hear from you!

Yes - I think it is a very worthwhile activity as well. And I like how you refer to it as a time capsule, because that is precisely how I think of a journal. A few days ago I was looking back at my other physical journal, and the first entry dates back to 2016 - it was amazing to read it. I had a bit of a laugh at what I was writing about!

I wish you happy journalling!

Thank you @Jake63 

Thanks for sharing and the inspiration!

"Journaling is like whispering to one's self and listening at the same time." - Mina Murray

Hey Jake63,

I stared journaling when I went traveling. Initially to record all the fun I had but since that time (+20years ago) but now I continue to journal as a way of tending to my mental health. Sometimes it is the only discipline I have! I find it an excellent way to get demons and negative thoughts our of my head. That gives mental space to think more clearly. You can say whatever you like in your journal, however bizarre, nasty, soppy, it doesn't matter because its just your thoughts, I love that. I have kept my journals and occasionally look back on some (some should be burnt most likely) and can see where I was at at different times. Some of the entries are so dark and bleak. Some so full of joy. Some are a great pep-talk to myself. They help me too understand my journey. And remind me of how far I have come. Maybe one day, when I have shuffled off to the next place, my daughter will read some of them and understand me a bit better than she does now.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance