Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Symptoms of Social Media - Looking after our Mental Health online // Tues 19th Feb, 7pm AEDT

Yep not too much emphasis I agree @TAB 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Symptoms of Social Media - Looking after our Mental Health online // Tues 19th Feb, 7pm AEDT

Is your comment for me @TAB 

It's becoming increasingly normal to meet people on various social media platforms. If you have ever made friends via FB, Instagram or similar - we're keen for your insight 🙂

So what is your experience of networking on social media? How do we stay safe whilst engaging online?

giphy (2).gif

I have actually met a lot of people through social media, in fact I met my last girlfriend on tumblr and my current girlfriend through Instagram. I think people are pretty savvy when it comes to meeting people online thanks to the rise of tinder. Some of the important things that I consider when meeting someone for the first time is to do so in a public place like a café. I tend to try to do so during daylight hours and make sure someone else knows who I’m meeting up with and I’ll check in with them afterwards.

If it is my first time meeting them I won’t tell them where I live or go back to their place unless I am 110% certain I will be safe.

Another thing that I do whenever a new account follows me is that I check it out to see if it seems like a legitimate person. Some of the things I look for are whether or not they have actually posted anything, whether they are following way more than your average user and other things like that. If I’m in doubt I block them, it’s just better for my mental health

Yes it can be handy re internet but its not real and no nett Benefits tbh its just lazy job replacement and profiteering re internet let alone social media etc @nashy and marketing practices

I doubt @BlueBay since I didn’t know you were here. Anyway Im leaving. Things to do. Good Night

Take care @TAB   Appreciate the input for sure.

@BlueBay  Thanks for engaging, your points have been interesting and I have related to heaps of them.

Meeting people online @holly299  it's happened to me a couple of times via instagram but not often. Is it something people consciously do like follow particular insta hashtags or FB pages? Or does it happen inadvertently? I like the safety ideas too.

@nashy for me it happened from posting similar stuff and then becoming mutual followers. We would then end up talking on direct messaging functions on various apps so we definitely followed each other first - helps that we both have public instagram accounts

I need to go @nashy @holly299 

thsnks for chstting. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance