Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Experiences around Study and Mental Health: What have you learnt?

Hello @tyme , @PinkFlamingo , @Birdofparadise8 , @Oaktree , @Bow 

Studying to do something you love ❤️ 

I studied and became a preschool teacher aid 

And ongoing training as a private child care provider for many many years 

I learnt a lots from training as well as helping and looking after children who had depression,  anxiety,  being blind , ADHD,  epilepsy 

Learning to learn more about myself through mine , my husband's and stp children MH 

I can really relate to the knock-on effect @Birdofparadise8 🙂

If I am having moments with PTSD or anxiety (which can be frustratingly paralysing at times) I then worry I am not on track with goals and timelines of study.

I wondered if you feel there are things that help you with study and getting good grades that you do, or things about your approach, if you would like to share? 😊

I use spreadsheets of assessments and due dates, and then I write in the dates I need to start working, with progress points for completion of sub bits of them 😊

@ENKELI 

Please don’t talk your achievements down. If you complete your course of study you are doing better than me. You can do it! Keep going! Usually your education organisation has supports for students. Use them

So true @Oaktree ! @ENKELI , it's not about being smart or dumb. Some of the most successful people in this world didn't even finish school!

People don't have the same opportunities for education. 

I'd love to support you to complete your course of study! Remember, I'm still studying also... so we are on a similar page. I haven't touched my self-paced course since January...

Hey there @ENKELI 🤗🌺

Im sorry if anything I have said had distressed you in any way - it wasn't designed to do that at all my friend 💜

Life experience has been so much more important than any education I have completed; let alone the education programs I have started and not completed because I wasn't well enough. I agree with @tyme  because even though study seems to be prestigious, its really a means to an end imho 🙂💜

Before I decided to get back into study, I enrolled in a statement of attainment - and that was all I had the capacity to do at that time (which was last year) 😊

I hope this can kindly bring some new perspective to how it might seem when reading the chat, and gently let you know that I think of you the way you think of me: intelligent and kind 🙂🤗💜

Gosh I'm not prepared like you. I just put them in the Apple calendar. 

For lectures, I write notes from the PowerPoint and watch the recording. 

I haven't had many assignments as such yet they are all starting now. Especially this stressful ese stressful stats @PinkFlamingo 

I'm also having a late night as the train is forever away so now I won't be up early tomorrow to get into the presentation. 

Anyway I should stop babbling about this thread. 

@Oaktree @tyme @PinkFlamingo 

Thank you for your words of encouragement. 

Last year was a pretty bad year for me with my ex best friend accusing me of some pretty nasty things, followed by my boss bullying me into resigning - she pretty much said that no one liked me or wanted to work with me after 1 person complained to her about me being racist and then telling my co-worker she said that because she didn't like the job role I was training her in, and finally my dad wanting me to be his carer and then changing his mind because "quite frankly I doubt you'd be capable of looking after me."

I had a couple of job interviews and was told I'm not qualified because I didn't have any tertiary qualifications and one response from a company I'd applied at that told me they didn't think I had the aptitude to be a good administrator officer.

Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to explain that none of you said anything wrong, and you all should be proud of your achievements. My twisted brain sees it and then sneers "you'll never be that good."

I really really appreciate you all xoxo

..gosh, what do I say ? these days seems almost insurmountable just getting centrelink approval to be Allowed to study.. used to be oh i am studying, put it on form. now there is no form and outside of income all 'mutual obligation' carrot and stick game seems to be run by job network.

so , I am studying and have been for over a month and still not sure if I am 'allowed' to .. had to change DES providers yet again as last lot just too smart for me, kept telling me porkies, anything , never mind whatever 'rules' there are so long as I had to keep going to them and applying for jobs etc ,,all about their $ nothing to do with course I was doing in right area, right length of time, right mode of study, after months of going around in circles was told by one of many people from dift places that it all was 'at DES's discretion'  so , went to new place , seemed sane, rational, caring almost, agreed to put everything in 'agreement' and where going to pretty much leave me alone, so long as proved was going there, and showed my face occasionally with them, the got form out of the blue from centrelink saying they had to approve my study now,this is after getting told oh nothing to do with us. so went back there after ringing DES first to get same 'nothing to do with us' spiel, I said look at form you sent me. oh , never seen that form before (why would you have, you yokel..) anyway see wat happens.

all that aside..if you are on the pension then no mutual obligation isssues . im not on pension. ok I finished degree 2001. did alright etc , GPA around distinction including honours. so, 2002 , enrol in teaching,  ok after not getting close to any sort of paid employment remotely related to degree. had self esteem issues, also chronic nose bleeds at the time that hadnt been successfully treated. so, i went and signed up , went to a couple info sessions and never went back after imagining my self 2 weeks hence at some posh suburb school in bomby car wearing kmart clothes with blood running from nose .. yeah ... nah ... then I enrolled again the year after and never went once. then year or 2 after enrolled in MBA (pointless) and was disgusted at the low level of course (below first year) and mindlessness of accounting(made zero sense to me, was just staring at numbers on a page literally and thats from me who enjoyed Maths.) so , yeah , friend was pushing me to keep trying further study like it was the only option (think they were getting same from their wife) ..so it 'wasnt me' was pointless waste of time in the end re further study. 

However .. a few years back , I finally bit the bullet and enrolled in Cert IV in training and assessing. ie thought can use trade and give body a rest . that went nowhere as needed to have my own class in my pocket. got suckered along by tutor to do all I could without a class, and it was intense, but def not academic. usual Tafe chip on shoulder about degrees stuff.  ok fast forward  few years and am like 3 fortnightly sessions in to 10 month course doing updated version of same qualification. I keep waiting for brain to clear, indecision to go away, worry to go away (spent weeks trying to pick units to concentrate on) spent weeks worrying about timing and how and when to get there , re 2.5 hour drive to city on the morning of class. still not worked any of these things out  and well, by next session it might not matter. getting buried under homework, now got first presentation  coming up at next session. and I cant feel my old 'feel the fear and do it anyway' mode in the slightest ok bits of posittivity in class and at home. then worrry, worry , worry . Geez. got like 17 sessions left , there are only 3 presentations. the place doing course at is uber connected. There are people who have gone from course straight to semi-govt office job not classes, no f2f no nothing lol sounds dreamy

I think maybe Life has a bit more in store for me yet re challenges, but getting through this course will be a huge sigh of relief ... lol

sorry for going on @Oaktree @PinkFlamingo @ENKELI @tyme @Birdofparadise8 @Glisten @tonys @SmilingGecko @Historylover @Zoe7 @Faith-and-Hope @MDT  in case this topic (ok thread topic, not my rant) is of interest  re study, going back to study etc 

@tyme and others, you truly are an inspiration to us all.

Whilst I haven't undertaken any studying with my MI, it is something that I have looked into and would like to do one day.  

Please keep the posts coming. It is something a lot of us strive for. Knowing other can do it give us some hope.

I think I need extra organisation because of the visual challenges that my brain has @Birdofparadise8 🙂🌺

sometimes even looking at some things I don’t quite put it together what it means depending on the way it is formatted and presented 🙂

your method of taking notes is pretty much similar to me 🙌🏻🙂

I do the split screen thing, with the key ppt notes loaded into word, and I have word open side by side with the online recordings of lectures, then take notes as I watch the lecture. I only figured out that my laptop did split screen a couple of months ago! 🤭

How’s the assignment going? If there’s anything you’d like to chat about please feel free ☺️🌺

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance