Skip to main content

Re: Let's relive the 1980's

You are going to love this story @greenpea 

My mum got really into this when it first came out....the only problem was at the time we did not have a VCR player....so she bought the cassette tape......sometimes I would do it with her when she was excercising but because we could not see what was happening only listen half the time we did not know what excercises to do.........in time we got a VCR so mum hired out the video and we discovered to our complete amusement that we were doing most of the excercises completely wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now you have brought back a whole lot of memories with that post......love it   Smiley LOLHeart

This thread is making me giggle! Especially the Jane Fonda video @greenpea!

You're never to old for Care Bears @Scarecrowe 😉! Loved Corey the Cabbage Patch story 😁 (by the way, if you'd like some help with uploading images let us know. I'm happy to help 🙂)

What about 80s food? Any memories of that @greenpea, @Scarecrowe, @plasmo, @silverspoon?

@plasmo   yes have to agree with you there about bands trying to cash in on the 80's revival thing and not really working

Iron Maiden, yep they were great!!!!!   Typical 80's sound they had at the time.......

I loved my flouro socks and I loved wearing lace fingerless gloves like Madonna.....we all wanted to be Madonna when she hit the pop scene......

I don't recall Smile Jeans or Shinies I have to say........might have been a local thing as you said..... but they sound very out there and very 80's lol.   I do remember chewing gum jeans (I was not a fan of those) and I remember stirrup pants....yes was a fan of them.....and for awhile it was trendy to wear jeans with a faint tartan pattern on them.....can't remember what they were called other than tartan jeans...................

Glad you are getting a giggle with this thread @CheerBear .  I was not sure whether to start it or not.......but now I am really glad I did..............

Yes please, any help with loading images I would love to have......but remember I am really computer dumb........some things I can do.....lots of things I can't do..........I would really appreciate any help thanks heaps!!!!

My sister (who is 4 years younger than me) loved the care bears.........

80's food........that is great question......at this moment I can't think of anything particular from that time......I do remember a choc bar call Musketeer (which you can't get now)...it was like a milky way (which replaced it after awhile) but it was much thicker and the choc covering was thicker and crunchier as well.....two years ago I was in America and I came across one......not as thick as ours were but close enough.....I nearly had a cow, I bought heaps and pigged out bigtime lol...........

I do remember buying 50cents worth of mixed lollies which would last you a week.......hardly get any for that amount of money now..........

If I remember any other foods I will let you know.......................

@Scarecrowethere were striped jeans in the late 80s but i thought they were bubblegum jeans.

girls would also have buckle bags which you'd buy from trendy jeans shops and put keyrings on them. kids would also buy holden or ford jackets.

in the 80s pizza hut was a fancy meal and in the 80s and 90s they'd have decent promos.

pizza hut had a mini basketball, hungry jacks had 60's sunnies and baseball caps

@CheerBear @Scarecrowe @plasmo @silverspoon the 80s were a huge decade for me as I was going from a young teenager into a young married woman 9/9/1989 :). I remember we had family bbqs which I really enjoyed. Almost every weekend we would have an assortment of people over. One dish I remember was my mums mushrooms which she would fry in butter ..... yummy 😛

Yes @plasmo  you are right they were called bubble gum jeans.....i did mean to type that but did not realise I typed chewing instead Smiley LOL

but there were jeans called chewing gum too.....i think they were about the same but the stripes were not as prominent... or it might have been a different brand calling them different names not sure.....as i was not a fan i am not very informed on those jeans.....acid wash was my fav jean........

for us Kentucky Fried Chicken (as it was called then) was a fancy meal.......Pizza hut came a bit later.....and Hungry Jacks came here when I was an adult.........Maccas did not get here until I was in my early adult years......we are very behind here lol

My workmate and I would travel 2 hours to a different city to get a Macca's as we did not have it for years later..................

I remember an ice cream called a Skona which was a creamy apricot flavour....I loved them...have not seen them for ages.....my father loved eskimoe pies (ice cream too) and my sister loved the polly waffle ice cream and bertie beetles chocolates.  They are all still around but were way better back then....................

Oh yum @greenpea   I love mushrooms!!!!!!  I just pigged out on some actually.....

My parents worked weekends so we basically took care of ourselves...my mum worked night so slept all day and we had to try and play quietly so as not to wake her up.....was very hard at times lol.

That is when I would get on my bike and take off...............stop being told off for being noisy lol........

It's heaps of fun hearing all these memories! Thanks for sharing all ❤

@Scarecrowe I'll get on to my laptop and put something up in the forum news on uploading pics to see if that can help 🙂

Oh thanks for that @CheerBear    you are a treasure.........Heart

This is fun strolling down 80's memory lane.......glad you are having fun......

And we have only just scratched the surface.....Smiley LOL